Monday, October 29, 2012

Pulling Teeth: La Campaña Para Arreglar Los Dientes


I've been haunted by this recurring dream that began about six years ago.  I'm walking down the sidewalk, and suddenly I trip, smashing my face on the concrete.  Shards of tooth go flying in every direction, and I'm swallowed whole by what can only be described as screaming waves in technicolor.  And all that I can think of is, "please don't make me get braces again…"

So when I accompanied some of the guys from the Luciérnaga to the dentist to take photographs of the new dentistry campaign, I could empathize.

For the past two or three months, the Luciérnaga and the Universidad Católica de Córdoba have come together to begin a campaign to fix the teeth of the chicos.  The vast majority of the guys have never received any form of dental care, and this is evident in some more than others.  The campaign includes removing problem teeth and growths, filling cavities, and creating prostheses for those that need them.  Every Friday and Saturday four or five of them go in at a time for the dental students to practice.  It's a great opportunity, as it gives the students experience, and it gives the guys dental care - mutual benefits that will last a lifetime.


        

         

           
  

The lighting was harsh, but it could be cool if used correctly.
(Almost there!  It'll be better next time)  





No comments:

Post a Comment