Tuesday, August 28, 2012

half plus half equals... a hole?

I feel a lot better about this one.  I may still go ahead with the other one, but it´s cliché to say the least.  But I´m a firm believer that one has to go through the motions of cliché to arrive at something original.  Maybe I´m wrong and just trying to make myself feel better about the lack of original ideas in my brain.

Anywho, I´m taking half-face portraits and combining them in photoshop.  It´s fun!  Like putting together a puzzle.  I originally wanted to do black & white simple portraits, and then transfer them onto canvas to give to the Luciérnaga before I leave.  But aside from potential material issues, I had concerns that a.) it´s not original.  At all.  b.) I would be limited in the number of people I could make transfers of (only 10 or 15 max) c.) What if they don´t like the pictures I choose of them?

So here´s my next step.  This way, I can do the same number of transfers and use twice as many of the chicos.  By only using half of the face, the photos don´t offer as much room for people to be picky.  They´re technically much stronger than what I had.  It´s cliché, but not as cliché as what I was originally trying to do.  My new concerns?  Mainly, a smooth transition between faces.


Putting the faces together is a bit more complicated than I originally thought it would be.  For example, how much distinction do I want between the two halves?  I want each image to be able to stand alone, but I want the two images to work together to successfully make one cohesive face.  It means understanding the different shapes and sizes of each half and seeing which fit together better.  As you´ll notice in the following images, the line between the two faces is different in each image - I haven´t decided which I prefer.  The shadows and distinct face shapes pose different challenges in each situation. 
I´m thinking of doing transfers of each half face on separate canvases, and then combining the canvases in a single frame.  Digitially reproduced, the line annoys me, but I think that by creating the line by using two separate canvases, it will be more easily read.  We´ll see, I have to play some more.

Any thoughts, input, criticism is greatly appreciated: leeintechnicolor@gmail.com

These are rough as hell yo...









No comments:

Post a Comment